Headache Pain Relief Management
Headache Pain Relief Management
One of the most complex forms of illnesses is the headache pain. In fact, this condition is very common as it does not only triggers adults, but teenagers and children as well. Although unpleasant, headache pain is basically regarded as a normal part of a person’s daily life. Since headache pain is among the top reasons for medical appointments to doctors and physicians today, it only proves that there is really nothing more typical on this type of illness.
The major causes of headache pain vary from the different cases of headache. Among the top factors that trigger headache pain are viruses, bio-chemicals, hormones, and bacteria. Genetics also has something to do with a person’s susceptibility to headache pains. People with low levels of serotonin are more likely to suffer from headache. Serotonin is the neuro-chemical that protects an individual from pain.
Determining different types of headache pain
While irritating and unpleasant pain is inevitable in all types of headache, it actually comes in different forms. It is really important for one to know the various types of headache pain in order to have proper diagnosis and application of headache pain relief treatments.
1. Migraine headache pain
This type of pain occurs on the one side of the head. The pain can become severe to the point that it can interfere with a person’s daily productivity.
2. Cluster headache pain
This type of headache pain is severe and sudden. Although a cluster headache has a shorter duration compared to other types of headache, it can trigger up to six times in one day.
3. Sinus headache pain
An infection, swelling, and irritation of the sinuses can spark a sinus headache pain. This type of headache pain is oftentimes mistaken with tension and migraine pains.
4. Rebound headache pain
A rebound headache pain is oftentimes caused by over-consumption of headache medications. Instead of diminishing the pain, pain reliever drugs can ultimately cause headache pains when abused.
Headache pain relief medications: Guidelines and precautions
Once headache pain is diagnosed, the doctor will then prescribed proper medications to alleviate and relieve pain. Apart from prescribed drugs, there are also non-prescription pain relievers that are regarded as safe when taken properly. However, it is still best to know and consider the following guidelines and precautions when taking in non-prescription headache pain reliever drugs:
1. Make sure to know all the ingredients contained in each product. Always read the labels of every medications before considering to buy or take them.
2. Only take the advised dosage of the drug. Never exceed the recommended amount of medication for this will most likely worsen the pain.
3. If there are more than one drugs to take, it is best to carefully plan the intake of each medication. This way, over-medication would be avoided.
4. For those with liver or kidney complication, it is recommended to consult a doctor first before taking headache pain relief medications containing acetaminophen ingredient.
5. People with asthma, bleeding problems, as well as those who have recently underwent any surgical procedure are advised to take medications like naproxen and ibuprofen.